DIY litter pick guide
- Pick an area and a date to clean.
- Gather all necessary equipment. It may be worth contacting your local parish council as many of them provide it. Some also provide public liability insurance.
- Litter pickers.
- Bags or buckets for rubbish.
- Protective gloves.
- A bucket, dustpan and brush (for glass).
- A first aid kit.
- You may also want to wear hi-viz clothing.
- Complete a litter pick risk assessment and COVID-19 risk assessment. Thanks to Central South Swindon parish council for providing the former.
- Promote the event:
- By word of mouth with friends, family, neighbours....
- In public places such as parks, the library, shops, doctors etc.
- On social media in a group such as Keep Swindon Tidy (a local hub for litter picks).
- In a local newspaper.
- Please ensure to be mindful of and compassionate to animals large and small. Some animals make litter into their homes. If that's the case, maybe leave them be.
If you'd like any help organising a litter pick or have litter issues that you'd like sorted, you're welcome to contact us and we'll help you how we can.