DIY litter pick guide
Here is a rough guide to setting up a litter pick. Litter picks vary, so have a look through and see what is suitable for your circumstances.
- Pick an area and a date to clean.
- Gather all necessary equipment. It may be worth contacting your local parish council as many of them provide it. Some also provide public liability insurance.
- Litter pickers.
- Bags or buckets for rubbish.
- Protective gloves.
- A bucket, dustpan and brush (for glass).
- A first aid kit.
- You may also want to wear hi-viz clothing.
- Depending on your circumstances, you may want to complete a litter pick risk assessment and COVID-19 risk assessment. Thanks to Central South Swindon parish council for providing the former.
- Promote the event:
- On social media. Keep Swindon Tidy is intended as a local hub for litter picks. Local community and environmental groups might be other good places to post.
- By word of mouth with friends, family, neighbours....
- In public places such as parks, the library, shops, doctors etc.
- In a local newspaper.
- In shop windows
- Please ensure to be mindful of / compassionate to animals large and small. This tip was suggested by a member of the Swindon Animal Rights group.
- Collection of rubbish can be arranged through the local parish council. Quite often, we leave rubbish by bins and then inform them of the location.
The litter pick stick trick!
Plastic rings are sometimes used to hold bags open, especially helpful when it's windy. But why buy a plastic ring when a stick will do? Simply roll the top of the bag around the stick.